Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Book Review- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

When I started reading the book I was a bit worried that it wasn't going to live up to the hype. It was hard for me to get into despite truly loving the idea of it. I explained the story of Bod to my husband. That he was a boy being raised by spirits in a graveyard. He agreed that it was such an original and interesting idea, so why was I having so much trouble with it?

Each chapter reads like a short story. Small snippets of Bod's life in the graveyard. An adventure here, another there five years later. There is very little information about what happened to his family and why. It was the second half of the book when I started to realize that I was really enjoying it. When Bod grows up and begins to search for answers. The last chapters are definitely the best.

This very imaginative, dark and sometimes creepy book will be reread very soon. I feel like I dragged myself through the first half without realizing what I was reading. I have to go back and see what I missed.

3.5/5

YA Book Challenge



Be sure to check out my current contest. You have until May 1st!

6 comments:

  1. I agree with all of this! The first chapters made me nervous, but the end really sold it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. Despite all the hype, I didn't really have high expectations since I wasn't all that blown away by "Coraline." So I wasn't nervous at all, and I was pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am caught up with the hype and desperate to read it still!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same thing happened to me-it was only when I got to the middle that I realized how good the book actually was!

    I nominated your blog for an award-you can check it out on my blog-http://sunshine-gardeninmypocket.blogspot.com/

    Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had my eye on this one for a while. It sounds creepy and good.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've become a Gaiman fan recently and I look forward to this book. Like other Gaiman work, it sounds creative and a little 'out there.' Reviews are mixed, but I'm still looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)