Thursday, April 23, 2009

Book Review- Austenland by Shannon Hale

Austenland Austenland by Shannon Hale

Austenland is a book written for any girl who is obsessed with the lives of those found in the pages of Jane Austen's books. Who of us has not imagined going back to Regency-era England and meeting our own Mr. Darcy?

Jane Hayes gets a chance to vacation at an English estate where she will live the dream for a couple weeks. She gets to dress up in corsets and empire waist gowns. She gets to play whist and take turns around the gardens always accompanied by the handsomest of men. Actors all of them, but part of the illusion. Can she really find love here when the men are being paid to court them and make them fall in love?


You will have to read it to find out, but we all know how Austen books always end- with a happy ending.

4/5



Be sure to check out my current contest. Go here to see the prizes. You have until May 1st!

10 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. It would be nice to be able to visit a place like this and pretend to step back in time. I can't believe the amount of books written connected to Jane Austen at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really couldn't stand this book. The narrator irritated me to no end. But then again, chick lit is totally out of my comfort zone. One of my book clubs read this, though, and everyone came in with a negative opinion, which surprised me because so many people online love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard mixed reactions to this too. And I tend to not be too into Chick Lit. But I could think of a couple of friends who might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really fun. I'll have to look into this very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed it, but just not as much as Goose Girl and Book of a Thousand Days and The Girl's Academy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a really good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a really good one. I really want to read this one..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this one on my shelf - I think I have tried to read it before but it just wasn't working for me for some reason. I will have to have another go at it I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed Hale's witty writing. This was one of the better Jane Austen-like novels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had forgotten about this one. It seems there are a lot of books out now that play off of Jane Austen. But Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorite books, so I can't say I blame them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)