Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Bookish Meme (Sunday Salon)


I know, I know, a meme. Well, it is midnight, I have had a few beers and I am ready for bed. This is all my brain can handle right now. :) 

Hope you all have a very nice and restful Sunday with your family and friends.

The Sunday Salon.com

Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
 
I usually prefer mass market paperbacks since they are cheaper and easier to transport. Hardbacks are nice but I just can't afford to get them all the time. Trade paperbacks are okay, but the ones I really don't like are the in between paperbacks. The tall ones but still just as wide as the mass market ones. Absolutely no point in these but to charge more.

Order online, at a chain bookstore, or at an independent bookstore?
All of the above. I really try to get most of my books from my favorite Indie bookstores but sometimes I just can't pass up the deals online and at the chains.

Bookmark or dog-ear?
Bookmark, but I have been known to dog-ear my paperbacks when a bookmark can't be found (which really shouldn't happen considering how many bookmarks I have).

Alphabetize by author, or alphabetize by title, or random?
My books are alphabitized by author

Keep, throw away, or sell?
Keep! I have never thrown away except for my hardcover copy of Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Eric Carle after one of my students got sick all over it. I have never sold any of my books either. I usually share with friends and family and more recently have been giving them away on BookMooch.

Read with dust jacket or remove it?
With. It makes for a handy bookmark when I forget or lose my actual bookmark.

Short story or novel?
Novel!

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
Harry Potter! (But I have never read the Lemony Snicket Books)

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
The first. I love mysteries and suspense stories. My absolute favorite types of books.

New or used?
As long as it is in good condition I don't care wither way.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?
Recommendations and browsing. My most favorite books have come from family and friend recommendations.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
Depends on the book, really, and whether or not I have the next book in hand.

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
I love when I have time to read in the morning before getting up out of bed, but nighttime is when most of my reading gets done.

Stand-alone or series?
Both.

Favorite series?
Harry Potter, of course!

Favorite children’s book?
See above. :)

Favorite YA book?
Hmm, that is a hard one but right now it would be The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
I have no clue. I would have said The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, but I think it is more popular than I thought it was.

Favorite books read last year?
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Do you ever smell books?
Nope. But I can smell the ones that are getting mildewed.

What are you reading right now?
An Obsolete Honor by Helena P. Schrader and The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

What are you reading next?
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford




8 comments:

  1. Oh Mari, you should read Lemony Snicket! I like Harry Potter, too, but Lemony is so clever. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I hate those in between sized books too. I was recently forced to buy a copy since it was either that or the paperback. I hear they're for people who prefer larger print, but personally I think they just look stupid.

    I can't wait to read "The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau!" It's sitting on my shelf right now... = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire- I will definitely read them eventually. :)

    Beth- I know! The dangers of sharing your books with 4 year olds. :)

    J.S.- The Dresden File book that just came out in paperback is that size and all my others are regular sized paperbacks. I don't want to spend the extra money and it doesn't match. What is a girl to do? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely prefer the mass market paperbacks. They are easier to handle and cheaper. I gave you another award :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stole this from you, so you can read the answers on my blog :0)

    I LOVED The Graveyard Book, so I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun meme, I am grabbing it and will save it for another day. I can't wait to read what you think of The Graveyard Book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this on a bunch of other blog so, please, grab away!! :)

    Yvonne-- You are way too kind! :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)