Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Scotland

If you visit both my blogs this is going to be a repeat. Just skip right over one of these posts. I was going to to a completely different post, but am in need of food then nap. Still a bit jet lagged. I purchased some yarn in Edinburgh and started a sock while traveling. Will be back with pics of both soon. :)


I am home!

Such a wonderful trip but I am glad to be back in my own bed. And my own shower! I was getting a bit tired of the cramped showers in the Guesthouses we stayed in. It took some creative maneuvering to shave my legs. :0

We had a lot of fun touring Scotland. We rented a car and drove around for five days before settling in Edinburgh for four. We visited Oban, the Isle of Skye and Inverness and had some stops along the way to see castles and distilleries.


There were a lot of rainy days like here in Oban but it didn't ruin our fun. In fact, I really liked it. We haven't had much rain in Texas. Oban was a very nice seaside town. I really would have liked more than one night here. Will have to go back, I guess. We saw some traditional music and dancing here. Our first ceilidh. So much fun.




On leaving the Isle of Skye we made sure to stop by the Eilean Donan Castle. This was not our first castle and it wasn't our last, but it was definitely a favorite. It was used as a location in Highlander and one of the James Bond films (can't remember which). This picture is now my wallpaper on my computer.



Besides enjoying all that Scotland has to see I also went on search of some Harry Potter sights because, well, I am a bit of a Potterhead. Love anything and everything HP. So, we took some specific routes so I could see some sights used for locations on the HP films. Such as the bridge that the Hogwart's Express goes over in Chamber of Secrets. Do you remember this? When Harry and Ron are flying over the train in the Ford Anglia? :)


The train back to London from Edinburgh conveniently took us to King's Cross Station. Despite construction going on, Platform 9 3/4 was still there just moved to a different location while they work on improving the station. :)

(Saw The Half Blood Prince in Edinburgh. So good! Favorite of the bunch so far.)

Lots of fun.

Before Scotland we went to Bath, but I am going to hold off on those photos for an Everything Austen post later this week. I visited sights mentioned in Jane Austen's books and also the Jane Austen Center while there. Lots to share, including a small gift for one lucky person. Be sure to come back and see what I brought back to giveaway.

I will leave you with one last photo. Stonehenge. It has been on my must see list of places forever. It didn't disappoint. Very cool to finally see.




3 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! Eilean Donan is MY famiy's castle! Well, the castle of Clan MacRae (McCray)...Hubby and I plan to renew our vows there, sometime in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo! Scotland! Yay! It's one of my most favourite places. I'm glad to hear you had a good time and enjoyed the rain. What fun to go sightseeing in the rain. I think that's half the beauty of the country. Very pretty pictures. Did you get more? Must show them if you did.

    One day, I want to go see the castle where they filmed HP. It looks so cool. Hope you recover from the jet lag soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin- How cool is that?! That would be a lovely place to renew your vows. Very pretty location. :)

    BlackSheep- I have loads of pictures! As soon as I get them uploaded on Kodakgallery I will send you the link to view. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)