Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Book Review- The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff

The 19th Wife: A Novel The 19th Wife: A Novel by David Ebershoff

The 19th Wife tells the history of the lives of the followers of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, but especially that of Ann Eliza Young, the 19th wife of Brigham Young. The historical facts of the Mormon faith and beliefs are perfectly blended with the fictional account of life during the settlement of Salt Lake City and also the story of Jordan Scott and his mother in the present.

I was completely ignorant to the history of the Mormons. I knew nothing of their church and beliefs until reading this book. Of course, I knew about the polygamy as most everyone else does and I watch Big Love, but that was it. It was interesting to read about the beginning, about the Prophet Joseph Smith and how he and his followers converted so many to their church. How polygamy was introduced to their followers and became part of their doctrine.

The whole book was intriguing and well put together. I read it all in less than a week's time, reading it at every opportunity. It was very well researched and very well presented as a whole. The present day storyline blended perfectly with the story of Ann Eliza and brought the tale full circle.

This was my first book by the author but am now very interested in reading more by him.

4/5


_________________________________________


15 comments:

  1. Very interesting given that polygamy is now illegal in the U.S. Or is it? Did the author address that? I enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to reading this one. The whole Mormon religion is such an unusual one and I find it really interesting. Not that I would want to join!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked this one. I won it last week and am anxious to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to get to this one soon; great review

    ReplyDelete
  5. i saw this book and a few author interviews on some other blogs and meant to pick up the book. i got so busy wrapping up the school year that i totally forgot! thanks for the reminder--i'm going to read this before labor day if it's the last thing i do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book Bird Dog- Most definitely. It is illegal, but they are not legally marrying the other women. They are considered single mothers and therefore collect welfare checks and qualify for WIC. Very interesting information on the Firsts.

    Scrap Girl, Dar, Diane, Natalie- Enjoy the book when you read it. It is a great read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so intrigued by the Mormon religion! This one i need to get asap!
    Thank you!
    Natalie:0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That just fascinates me.... thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed reading this and now I want to read THE CHOSEN ONE - similar topic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great review. Once, long ago, I was proposed to by a man of Mormon faith. I wonder how my life would have turned out, had I said yes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've gone to read this one a few times and other books have kept getting in the way. I will need to add it to the ever growing list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Natalie and Sheila-I am very fascinated with the history of the Mormon church.

    I also want to get my hands on The Chosen One, Lenore.

    Beth, wow! It is interesting to think about how different your life could be if you did one thing differently.

    Karen- Read it. You won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so interested in this book - and I keep getting it mixed up with the OTHER book about a young Mormon woman, since it has almost the same cover... Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed this book too. It inspired me to pick up the author's two other novels!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd be interested in reading this for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)