Wednesday, June 10, 2009

YA Quick Reviews (Second Helpings and Charmed Thirds)

Second Helpings Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty

I liked this book so much more than Sloppy Firsts. It had much more angst and story surrounding Jessica rather than her take on the others in her high school. I liked the focus of this one much more- the challenge of seeing but not talking to Marcus, the confusion of deciding on a college, discovering friends and supporters you never knew you had.

It was hard not to pick up Charmed Thirds right after finishing this one. Well, I waited a few hours at least.

4/5


Charmed Thirds Charmed Thirds by Megan McCafferty

Perhaps its Jessica's lack of direction or the book's lack of Marcus (I am not completely sure) that made me not enjoy it as much as the previous book. The social commentary is still there, the humour and quick-wit, but I just didn't find myself caring as much for Jessica. I just couldn't relate to her choices and/or experiences this time around.

I would really love to read what Marcus wrote in his journals during these two years, though!

3/5

Alright, bring on the next books. I need to continue this Jessica Darling marathon of mine. Two more books to go!


Serial Readers Challenge


_________________________________________


***Current Giveaway: Impulse by Ellen Hopkins. Open until Monday, June 15th at 12:00am CST.

6 comments:

  1. These sound good!

    I just tagged you for a new book meme. No pressure to participate though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get past the first book in this series, but so many of my friends love it.

    Oh, and you mentioned on my blog that you hadn't heard of Fire by Kristin Cashore. If you haven't read her first book, Graceling, you should check it out. It's a great read that you won't want to put down. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost didn't continue, now I am hooked. :) Now that you have mentioned Graceling, Em, I remember hearing about that one.

    Yvonne, I am off to take a look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time to get to these books, I can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So there is five in the series? I am really gonna have to give these a read/re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. McCafferty's books are my favorites! I just discovered them this year and can't stop gushing about them. So glad you liked them, too, though I agree that Charmed Thirds could have benefited from a lot more Marcus... and I desperately wish we could have read his journals, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)