Monday, June 29, 2009

Book Review- The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

The Forest of Hands and Teeth The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Mary lives in a small village surrounded by a fence that keeps the villagers in and the Unconsecrated out. There is always the fear of a breech and getting infected and becoming one of the undead or becoming their food. This has always been her way of life but it was not always so. Her mom has told her stories about a vast ocean and cities with buildings that reach the sky.

I had heard such great things about this book that I was expecting to be blown away. I was left a little disappointed. I did like the simplicity of the storytelling despite it being in first person. It fit with the lives the villagers lead. The premise was interesting and had really great potential.

The beginning started off slow and got me a little worried. I kept imagining the movie The Village and what is on the other side of the fence on that one. I must say that is what I was expecting here. In fact once Mary is with the Sisters and starts finding out that they are keeping secrets, I was really expecting some revelations to come. Unfortunately not many did.

There is a lot of nothing that happens for quite awhile in the middle of the story and the ending wasn't as exciting as I was hoping. I would have liked more answers to what caused the Unconsecrated spread, what the Sisters secrets were, etc..

It was good, but it could have been great.

3/5

_________________________________________


7 comments:

  1. I agree, there weren't enough revelations about the Sisters. However, I liked the end because of the info about the paths outside the doors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so so agree - I am surprised by the CRAZY hype about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! I'm so sorry you didn't like this book all that much. I've heard great things to, so my hopes have been very high. I think I'll still read it, but mayhap I'll wait for the paperback. I have way too many books now as it is anyway. I hope you like your next read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad. After the first paragraph I was thinking it sounded like it could be really good. Shame it didn't live up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda- I also liked the paths, I just wished there was more to it than what was out there. More info about the stranger as well.

    Janssen- Oh good, I thought I would be the only one who wasn't blown away by it.

    Jspeyton and blacksheep- Despite not being completely blown away by it, there were some redeeming qualities that kept me reading. Like I said, it was good. A simple read, quiet with an interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want this book so badly! I'm glad to see a review from someone who didn't love it, though, because very high expectations never did me any good :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want, I want, I want. I can't get. I can't get. Sorry, so hard to get over here. I have heard such fabulous reviews, nice to hear another side of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)