Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tuesday Thingers-02/10/09

Do you use a rating system on your blog? How do you feel about using the rating system provided on sites like Library Thing and Amazon? When looking up information on a book you are interested in, do you use the ratings provided by these sites (or similar sites) to help you make the decision on purchasing the book?

I do use a rating system but have been wondering whether or not it is useful or necessary. I know when I look for info on a new book I read the synopsis and reviews first before looking at the ratings. Same as with movies. You can't always trust them. However, sometimes ratings are good for quick reference or for when a review is not clear.

My rating system:

5/5 Amazing!
4/5 Really liked it
3/5 Liked it
2/5 Okay
1/5 Didn't like it

6 comments:

  1. The quick reference part is what probably keeps me from using ratings. I want people to read my whole review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right...I may have to think about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been enjoying everyone's responses to this question. Seems like it is good for shorthand reviews but really, reading the written review is probably better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd also rather read the review. One person may give a book a five because they liked, say, that the book had a fast-paced action, but if I prefer slow-paced, I may not like it at all - if you see what I mean. It's even possible that I would give the same book 5 stars too, but for a totally different reason. I only use rating systems when there are a whole lot of people rating the same book (like Amazon) and even then you can still wind up with something you don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't use a ratings system - but that's mainly because I am hopeless trying to give something a number rating (I'm more of a qualitative person I guess) - I do appreciate seeing them from other bloggers and readers though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your thought about using ratings as a quick reference, but relying on reviews.

    One other reason I don't add a rating to my site is that it would add one more thing to the already really long process of creating and posting a review!

    Thanks for stopping by and participating in Thingers last week! I've got the post up for this week. ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)