Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Book Review- Artemis Fowl and Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer

Artemis Fowl (Book 1) Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

The reader is continually told that Artemis Fowl, a wealthy 12 year old genius, is a criminal mastermind, yet there isn't much to him that I would consider "criminal" or "evil". He just seems like a boy who is used to getting what he wants and takes any means necessary (within reason) to get it. I found myself more interested in Butler, Artemis' butler and bodyguard. It is an interesting relationship they have. I did like Captain Holly Short and the whole LEPrecon Unit concept. This was a different take on Fairie that I had not read before. Absolute favorite character: Mulch Diggums. Once he unhinged that jaw and undid his back flap I was a fan.

3/5


Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl, Book 2) Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer

Just as I thought... Artemis Fowl is not a bad guy. He has a heart and some morals. Really. There are some mentions of his exploits, his crimes to get a hold of lots of money, which I suppose could qualify him to be called a "criminal mastermind" but it is all done for a good reason. He is desperately trying to find his father who has been missing for two years.

Holly Short is back with the LEPrecon Unit and this time they work together with Artemis and Butler.
Mulch Diggums makes an appearance again as well and once again helps in a way no one else can.

3/5


I have to say, I keep picturing Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory as Artemis Fowl. I just can't stop.





Serial Readers Challenge

5 comments:

  1. I've read the first one and I did enjoy it. I need to catch up with my son who's now three or four books through the series. I look forward to additional readings.

    I love your comparison to Dexter. I hadn't really thought of him, but it does sort of fit...granted, I find Dexter a bit less capable than Artemis, but it is a fun comparison. That might be a fun paper to write...compare/contrast Artemis and Dexter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. There isn't much of a description of Artemis, this way he now has a face. Also a very non-Irish accent in my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of these books, but I feel like I should know about them. LOL Thanks for the reviews.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read these books, i've heard about them.
    great review :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have a wonderful site!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)