Thursday, November 20, 2008

Into Thin Air-Book Review

Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer

You have to give a book 5 stars if you finish it in less than 2 days right?

This book had me on the edge of my seat the entire way through until 1:30am this morning. My eyes are feeling it now. I was so engrossed in these people who risk their lives to reach the summit of Mount Everest. It takes a certain type of person to put themselves and their bodies through such torture for 5 minutes on top of the world.

The sad and terrible turn of events on the mountain in 1996 was not a new story to me. I remembered when it happened, I have watched numerous Discovery shows about it and seen the IMAX movie Everest. However, I had not read this true personal account of one of the team members before. Jon Krakauer does a wonderful job of sharing his experience and making you understand the conditions on the mountain that spring.

This book made me cry, it made me angry, and it made me very thankful that my rock climbing, backpacking husband has no interest in taking up high altitude mountaineering.

This book is getting past on to him next to further convince him that he has no desire to climb mountains.

5/5

New Classics Challenge

3 comments:

  1. I read Into Thin Air a while back and it was an interesting and (obviously) very tragic story. I was fascinated by all of the obstacles (and MONEY) that people are willing to endure in order to accomplish something like this...very hard core!

    I also remember, after finishing the book, wondering if Krakauer wrote this book a little too soon after the incident. It seemed to me that his anger and guilt were still bubbling just under the surface. Hopefully, writing this was theraputic and helped him to pick up the pieces and move forward.

    And...I agree...you MUST have your husband read this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read this recently and totally loved it! What's next on your list for the challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading Into The Wild about a month ago, I decided I need to get some more Krakauer. He's an intriguing writer. This is actually next on my list from him. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)