Saturday, March 7, 2009

Book Review- Schooled by Anisha Lakhani

Schooled Schooled by Anisha Lakhani

I teach in a public school that services kids from underprivileged homes. Sometimes, as all teachers do at times, I complain about difficult kids, parents, and/or admin. It comes with the territory. PreKindergarten isn't all happy faces, snack and fun arts crafts. It is work and there are hard days. However, I do not have it as bad as Anna Taggert in Schooled.

Oh. My. God.

I would have quit the very first day if I had to deal with what she does at her private school in Manhattan. who would put up with that? Well, we know there are many who do, but how? Those kids would have eaten me alive the first hour. I would have very little patience for their parents and I would resent the un-supportive administration that catered to the rich family donators. This is quite a world I would hate to live in but love to read about.

Never again will I complain that a parent didn't make it to a parent conference!

4/5

1 comment:

  1. I read and reviewed this book too. I enjoyed the inside look at teaching in private schools. You're right that it would be awful to have to work in those conditions. I enjoyed your review, it's nice to hear a teacher's perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)