Thursday, January 15, 2009

Booking Through Thursday (1/15/09)

But, enough about books … Other things have words, too, right? Like … songs! If you’re anything like me, there are songs that you love because of their lyrics; writers you admire because their songs have depth, meaning, or just a sheer playfulness that has nothing to do with the tunes. So, today’s question? What songs … either specific songs, or songs in general by a specific group or writer … have words that you love? Why? And … do the tunes that go with the fantastic lyrics live up to them?

"What a Wonderful World". One of the best songs ever especially when sung by Louis Armstrong.

Folk groups and singers have some great songs. The Weepies and Joshua Radin have some wonderful lyrics. Iron & Wine as well.

6 comments:

  1. I like Iron & Wine too. I also like Calexico a lot and was happy when they collaborated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved the sounds of Danny Elfman, both in the Oingo Boingo days and with his symphonic work (independent and for film).

    I'm also a huge fan of "showtunes" because the songs tell stories. I'm a big lover of good lyrics in a song. If the song itself tells a whole story, all the better.

    Some "pop-culture" songs I love for that reason:
    * Uncle Tom's Cabin by Warrant
    * The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia - Vicki Lawrence (& later, Reba...which I like better)
    * I Hung My Head - Sting
    * 18 & Life - Skid Row
    * Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton

    It seems that generally these "storytelling" type songs I like are in the country genre, but occasionally there's a good rock ballad out there that gives me a nice story.

    Other music that I can't get enough of is what I call "Angry Chick Rock"...I'm a sucker for women rockers like Joan Jett or The Donnas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iron and Wine is good, but I have to agree with Louis Armstrong - I didn't even think of him when I wrote my post! Good old Satchmo.

    Here's mine:

    http://www.ddubsreads.com/DDubsReads/Blog/Entries/2009/1/15_Booking_Through_Thursday%3A_Sing!_Sing_a_song....html

    Happy BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is not the same What a Wonderful World by Sam Cooke.

    This is the longest and most time-consuming answer I’ve ever done for BTT. I like lyrics that speak to me and yes, hit a sore spot in me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)