Thursday, May 24, 2012

Book Review: A Million Nightingales by Susan Straight




A Million Nightingales by Susan Straight

This was my Book Group's pick for May.  

It is the story of Moinette, a slave of mixed race. She chronicles her life, from a young teen to her death as a free woman. It is a sad, heartbreaking story, difficult to read at times and yet there are instances of happiness and hope. 

It was a little hard to get into but got easier as I went along.  The beginning was difficult to read at times due to the use of the Creole dialect. Either, less was used or I got used to it, but the second half of the book was much easier to read and went much faster.  

I had to miss Book Group on Tuesday so I don't know how the rest of the group felt about the book. I hope to find that out next time I see them. As for me, I feel that Susan Straight, with her use of local dialect and realistic imagery, was able to put me right in the middle of Louisiana. It was hard not to feel what Moinette was feeling, mourn her losses and cheer for her when things went well for her. 

3.5/5

Source: purchased ebook








_________________________________________
 
FTC Disclosure: Clicking on title and image links will lead you to my Amazon Affiliate page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)