Monday, November 2, 2009

Book Review- Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers

Cracked Up to Be Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers

When I started this book I was reminded quite a bit of Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Parker was a 4.0 student, head cheerleader and popular but an incident over the summer has her falling apart. She now must visit the school counselor every week, she is on academic probation and her friends have been told to keep an eye on her and report any destructive behaviors. The protagonists are very different, though, as are their experiences.

I really like the way the story is told. It is in present time but Parker has small flashes of the party over the summer. Little snippets that grow and grow as the story progresses. An interesting way to tell the story and very effective in setting the tone.

I look forward to more by Courtney Summers.

4/5



Source: Purchased from amazon.com.

_________________________________________


2 comments:

  1. I have this book sitting on my shelf. I look forward to getting to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had Speak on my list for awhile, now I think I need to add this one too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)