Thursday, March 13, 2014

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth
487 pages, Paperback
Katherine Tegen Books, February 2012

Source: purchased

I thought it was finally time I read this book and see what all the hype was all about. I also thought I should read since the movie was coming out and I knew I would want to see it. I am not sure why I waited so long to finally read this first book in the ever popular series. Two years? Definitely not like me.

Anyway, I am glad that I finally read it. I really enjoyed it. Could not put the book down once I started it. It has been a while since doing that. It has also been a while since I had read a YA dystopian novel.

This book has been around so long I don't feel the need to give a synopsis. Hope you all don't mind.  So, what I enjoyed... the unique world Roth has created is really the star. I loved the look of her post-apocalyptic Chicago, with the lake now a marsh and the city in ruins. It will look great in the movie. 
Tris is an interesting character and I really enjoyed following her on her journey. She is strong and motivated to do the right thing and not completely boy crazy as girls tend to be in YA books. I mean, there still is a boy of course, it's just not the main storyline.  

Looking forward to reading the other books in the series.

Happy Reading!
_________________________________________

 FTC Disclosure: Clicking on book title and/or image links will lead you to my Amazon Affiliate page.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Divergent too! I have picked up Insurgent and am now in the middle of Allegiant. Neither of them are catching me as the first one did, at least so far. I am curious to know how the movie is going to be. I hope to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten the next ones yet. Will soon, though. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)