Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Review: The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli

The Lotus Eaters: A NovelHelen Adams is a photojournalist who has dropped everything to go to Vietnam and photograph the war. Her 12 years of living, working and surviving in the war-torn country are replayed as she and her Vietnamese lover attempt to leave.

I went into this book not knowing all that much about the Vietnam War. I had a lot of questions for the hubby and am actually quite interested in learning more. Any book recommendations are welcome.

The Lotus Eaters is described as a love story and that is exactly what it is. However, I feel it is Helen's love affair with the country that drives the story. She is unable to pull herself away from her life there. She throws herself into the country and all it has to offer. She misses the smells, the taste and sounds when she is away and hurries to return more so than to any person she meets or loves in the story.

Soli's descriptions of the countryside and horrors of war show the contrast of beauty and devastation that only war can cause. Her characters were believable and interesting to follow around in their pursuit of the perfect photo. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys good historical fiction. No knowledge of the Vietnam War is needed, but you will want more after finishing this book.

4.5/5

Source: Library Thing Early Readers Program


* I am giving away my copy of this book here.



_________________________________________

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you really liked this one, too. I never thought about Helen's love affair with the country, but that's so true.

    I hope it's okay to link to your review on War Through the Generations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one, too; one of my favs this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna- Of course. Please link. :) Was actually planning on heading there to find another good Vietnam Historical fiction novel.

    Lisa- Yes, definitely one of my favorites this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this novel a great deal for its look at journalists and women in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful review, Mari! I love the cover on this book. It sounds like a great story and I hope to someday make my way to it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)