Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Book Review- Inside Out by Barry Eisler

Inside Out: A Novel
I was introduced to Barry Eisler's books when I received a copy of Fault Line through Library Thing's Early Reviewers Program. My husband and his family have known about Eisler for awhile since he lives in the same town as them and have also read all the his John Rain books. Anyway, I enjoyed Fault Line and was thrilled to get a copy of Inside Out for review.

Inside Out begins not too long after the end of the events in Fault Line.  Ben Treven is a bit down and out and has found himself in a Manilla jail. The man who tried to have him killed in the last book is back but this time to ask for his help. 

Another agent, thought to be dead, has tapes that document the US governments use of torture during the War on Terror and is holding them for ransom. It is Ben's job to try and get the tapes before they can be released to the public as other agencies try to get their hands on the tapes as well.

The plot is complex, the action is non stop and it is relevant to what is going on in the world today. Scary, but true. What is needed to keep the American public safe? Do we need to know the truth about what the government is doing or should we just be happy in the fact that we are "safe"? All questions that come up in the book and fuel an interesting ending.

I enjoyed the book, just not as much as Fault Line. I think what I enjoyed most about that one was the sibling interactions and that was definitely missing from this book with Alex barely getting mentioned. I am hoping that he will make another appearance in later stories. He is my favorite of the two brothers.

Inside Out did get me thinking, though, and definitely kept me entertained. It has also got me excited to see what happens in the next book if two of Eisler's characters come together. Treven and Rain. That will make for quite an exciting read.

Inside Out was released on June 29, 2010.

3.5/5

Source: author/publisher
_________________________________________

5 comments:

  1. I missed Alex too, but I liked this one more because of the relevance. It led to some really good discussion with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. My hubby hasn't read it yet, but I look forward to hearing what he thinks about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good book! I haven't read fault line but both sound great!! Happy Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this sequel to Inside Out. I'm going to be posting my review this Friday as part of my month-long spotlight on Barry Eisler. He's one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I meant to write: sequel to Fault Line.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)