Friday, August 15, 2008

Holes- Book Review

I bought this book years ago when the movie came out but never actually read it. Haven't seen the movie yet, either.

It is the story of Stanley Yelnats, a young boy who always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is this problem that gets him sent to Camp Green Lake. With the other boys he meets there, he begins his daily routine of digging holes.

It was hard to see where this could go. Boys digging holes in a dry lake bed? I wasn't sure it would keep me interested, but once I figure out that the Warden was actually looking for some thing out there, and staredt seeing the connections to Stanley and the back story, it became harder and harder to put it down.

Wonderful book, and a definite must read for kids and adults.

4/5


New Classics Challenge

3 comments:

  1. This book is on my New Classics Challenge list as well. I saw the movie a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so I am looking forward to reading the book. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! I read it a long time ago because several other teachers' high recommendations. And I was pretty impressed with the movie, too. Not as good as the book, but pretty darn close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of either the book or the movie, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)