Tuesday, March 18, 2008

book on tuesday

(archived from mariknits)


Since I have been reading so much lately, I thought I would share a few with all of you. I am guessing there are a few of you that may be as much as a reader as I am. I will only share every now and then, when I read a really great book. This is still a knitting blog. (which reminds me, I need to go to my LYS and find some Malabrigo...



You know why.

Anyway,

Over spring break, I read In The Forest by Edna O'Brien. Every year at around this time I read a book by an Irish writer. Usually, Roddy Doyle, Frank McCourt or Edna O'Brien. This year, I went with O'Brien.

This book was wonderful. Disturbing, but really great. A small west Ireland village is terrorized by a local man since his childhood. He started with minor crimes that the people try to deal with, but as he grows up they become terrified of him and refuse to do anything to stop him for fear of retribution. You see what may have caused his actions/mental health problems. You get to know the people whose lives are affected by his presence, his crimes, his sickness. I won't go into detail too much about the plot, I would hate to give anything away. What is really scary and interesting is that this is based on a true story.

If you are in need for a book to read, I definitely recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)