Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Armchair BEA: Fiction Love

 I love the sweeping epic stories of historical fiction, especially if set in Tudor England. I can't get enough of the supernatural creatures- werewolves, vampires, zombies, etc.  I really enjoy a great crime novel, a mystery to keep me guessing all night about who did it. I like the easy to read, fast to finish, and so addictive popular fiction but also the slow, beautiful prose of literary fiction. 

This is what I read. This is what sits on my shelves (both real and electronic), on my bedside table, my floor and window sills. Perhaps a few non-fiction books make there way in but it is those books of fiction that fuel my reading habit. 

They make me dream of being the Inspector that solves the unsolvable case, of flying on broomsticks after Snitches and eating chocolate frogs on the Hogwart's Express, of meeting my own Gilbert Blythe (well, that one did come true), and of surviving the zombie apocalypse.

How could you even want to read anything else? ;)

(So, I realize I included non- Genre Fiction here. Oops. Just shows you I really don't know all the new genres- NA, Genre Fiction? What happened to just Fiction? Anyway, I guess my point is- I like it all. But, yeah, Genre Fiction does seem to be my go to reads. )

Happy Reading!
_________________________________________

 FTC Disclosure: Clicking on book title and/or image links will lead you to my Amazon Affiliate page.

12 comments:

  1. I'd like to eat some chocolate frogs myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have some macadamia nut turtles in Hawaii. Not the same, I think. ;)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE historical fiction! It's one of my favorite genres. I like Regency London though. Or Edwardian, I suppose. Have you read Grave Mercy/Dark Triumph? AMAZING YA historical fiction books :D

    Check out my post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't. I will have to check those out. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. My shelves are full of books from various genres, too, but my first love is historical fiction.

    I'd love to eat Chocolate Frog's on the Hogwart's Express :-) And maybe some Bertie Bott's Beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love historical fiction! Have you read the His Fair Assassin series? Historical with a slight bit of fantasy woven in for good measure. Also, ASSASSIN NUNS. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gained an interest in historical fiction after reading Sharon Kay Penman's excellent The Sunne in Splendour, about Richard III. On the YA side, I've really gotten into Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle series lately. It's paranormal meets Victorian England, and it's a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I think I need to find a copies of that series. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frankly, I think the lines between the types of fiction (and between fiction and non-fiction, for that matter) are often blurry. I think that's a good thing - why shouldn't a piece of "literary fiction" also be historical in nature?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)