Friday, August 19, 2011

First Book Group





Wednesday night was the first time my friends and I got together to discuss our first chosen book, Austenland by Shannon Hale. It was a lot of fun. We had a great time talking about the book and the upcoming movie. We enjoyed some yummy food and wine and a very decadent dessert. Yum.

Thoughts about the book: 
So, the overall consensus was that we were not too fond of the ending and we were a little weirded out by the "romance" part of the purchased visit to Pembrook Place. We decided we would not be interested in paying for actors to be interested in us. We also thought that Jane should have left on her own, cured of her Darcy obsession and ready to find love, romance in real life, not with actors at a fantasy camp.

I enjoyed my second read of the book, perhaps not as much as the first time reading it, and loved hearing the single girls' take on Jane's life and boyfriend issues. Here is my review from 2009 when I first read it.

Popular Question:
So, if you could spend three weeks living your ideal fantasy what would it be?
I like the idea of experiencing an Austenland type of place. Regency England and Jane Austen definitely peeks my interest. I also think three weeks living in Bram Stoker's Dracula would be kind of fun. Dark, Gothic fun.

Next months book:
The Happiness Project  by  Gretchen Rubin


_________________________________________

FTC Disclosure: Clicking on title and image links will lead you to my Amazon Affiliate page.




Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith.
Giveaway: August 19, 2011

4 comments:

  1. I love being part of a book club and I can still remember my current book club's first meeting, although it was only a little over a year ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad it went well. An interesting book to choose. I haven't read any Shannon Hale yet, but I am intrigued by this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a fun, light read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was fun! I am really glad I suggested it to them and that they were interested.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)