Thursday, September 19, 2013

Review: Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
368 pages, paperback
April 2013, Harper Perennial

Source: Purchased


I joined a mother's group Book Club and this was the first book I have had a chance to read with them. I am hoping to make the meeting, but never too sure with the hubby's travel schedule. Anyway, I am glad I got to read it even if I don't make it to the meeting.

Beautiful Ruins follows the lives of multiple characters from 1962 Italy to present day Hollywood.  Pasquale Tursi dreams of making his tiny hotel in his tiny town a destination for American tourists. He is surprised when an American actress comes to stay and even more surprised when he learns how she ended up there. Their chance encounter and how it affects their and the future generations lives is the story here. A story for the movies.

Loved how the story jumps between characters and time. I am a sucker for these generational story lines. It is an interesting look into the politics and publicity of Hollywood and the affects it has on the people who come in contact with them. A great mix of drama, romance and humor. The description alone of Michael Dean had me in stitches. The picture it put in my head. I wonder if he based on anyone?

This one is highly recommended. Going to make for a great discussion. 

Italy



Happy Reading!
_________________________________________

 FTC Disclosure: Clicking on book title and/or image links will lead you to my Amazon Affiliate page.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one as well--especially on audio. I kept picturing Michael Douglas as Michael Dean but it may have just been the gruff narration that reminded me a bit of his own voice. Hope you can make your book group!! Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to get into audiobooks. Not sure why.
      Michael Douglas, huh? I kept picturing Voldemort. :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this one a lot. Looks like your moms' reading group is going to read good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)