Thursday, September 13, 2012

Book Review: The Island House by Posie Graeme-Evans

The Island House by Posie Graeme-Evans
Paperback, 464 pages
Published June 2012 by Atria Books

Freya Dane goes to a remote Scottish Island, that was owned by her recently deceased father, to hopefully find answers about why he left her and her mother so long ago back in Australia. While there she discovers secrets that her father unearthed and a new place to call home.

The Island House is also the story of the previous inhabitants of the island, those who left their footprint that Freya and her father eventually dig up. Switching from the present day and Freya, we also learn the story of Signy, a native of the area whose family is killed by raiders and who is taken in by an early Christian community of monks and nuns.

This was a gripping tale of archaeological finds, love and sacrifice. You have a tale of discovery mixed with a tale of survival. Both Freya and Signy are strong female characters and its easy to understand their motivations.
 
 I enjoyed both stories but was a little disappointed with the lack of explanation of why Freya and Dan (a new friend) keep having flashes of Signy's life. Was it a ghost, past lives being remembered? I wasn't sure. Besides that, I was really intrigued by the story and what they would find on the island.

Source: Publisher for review
Author's Website: http://www.posiegraemeevans.net/web/

_________________________________________

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one but I had a problem with the relationship between Freya and Dan, it seemed to happen so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It was a quick turn around on how he treats her. I really never understood why he was so rude with her at the beginning.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have this one on my shelf so I'm definitely curious as to what others think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I kept track right, you've finished the European Reading Challenge. There is a Wrap Up page available, so if you do a wrap up post, please add your link on the page.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)