Friday, August 21, 2009

Movie Review-Lost in Austen

LOST IN AUSTEN was on Ovation the other day but I didn't realize it until it was already on the third episode. I quickly set the DVR to record, turned off the T.V and caught up on YouTube. 

So, have you heard about this miniseries? I only heard about it recently, before joining the Everything Austin Challenge. Decided it would make a good addition to my list of all things Austen.

Series Info: First released in the UK on September 3, 2008 as a four part miniseries. Ovation first broadcast it in the US in January 2009.

From the (DVD)Back Cover: Amanda Price is sick of the modern world. She yearns for the romance and elegance found in the books by her favorite author, Jane Austen. But she's about to get a rude awakening as one fateful evening, she is propelled into the scheming 19th century world of Pride and Prejudice while that book's Elizabeth Bennet is hurled into hers. As the book's familiar plot unfolds, Amanda triggers new romantic twists and turns within the Bennet family circle as she clumsily tries to help the sisters nab husbands and even captivates the tantalizing Mr. Darcy herself. But what about Elizabeth...and what will become of one of the world's greatest love stories?

My Review: I was really excited about the premise of the series. A modern day gal finds a door that just so happens to open into the world of Pride and Prejudice. The acting was great, the locations were perfect and the plot was good but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. Perhaps it was the way I was watching- stop and start on YouTube? I don't know, but there was something lacking and I can't put my finger on it.

What did I like? I really liked Alex Kingston in this. She was great as Mrs. Bennett. The changes to the story due to Elizabeth being gone and Amanda there instead were creative and somewhat believable as being part of the Austen world. I did love and laughed when Amanda has Mr.Darcy get in the lake and walk out a la Colin Firth. That was a highlight. :)

I really wished there was more about Elizabeth and how she was getting on in modern London. Also, a little less quick transitions between scenes. I kept thinking that I was missing parts (again due to watching on YouTube). I might have been. I really should get this on DVD and watch. 

Anyway, it was fun and I did enjoy. But like I said before, there was something missing that will keep me from considering this a favorite. 

A movie adaptation is apparently in the works. Wonder how that will differ from the series? 

3/5

Everything Austen Challenge
_________________________________________


11 comments:

  1. I heard about Lost in Austen last year in September when it was broadcast on ITV. The DVD was released as soon as the broadcasting was over. It was at the end of September 2008, I think. I got it from Amazon, saw the four episodes - even more than once - and found the seires extremely entertaining! I'm sorry you didn't like so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as you said it was on You Tube, I was about to rush right over there. Then you mentioned the lag and that drives me crazy so I guess I'll just watch it somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria- I really think that I need to watch on DVD to appreciate it better. I was just distracted by having to find the next part every 3 min on YouTube.

    Lit and Life- I would rent it or wait for it to be on tv again. I usually don't mind watching on YouTube (it is how I watch Doctor Who) but the parts are only 3 min long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me a an episode or two to really get into the story, but once I did...I has now become a favorite! I'm also sorry you didn't like it as much. Maybe rent it on DVD and then watch on a nice big screen TV with your favorite snacks and get all cozy on your couch...maybe that'll help! hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds interesting. I'll add it to my list LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mari! I have an award for you: http://zenleaf.blogspot.com/2009/08/sunday-salon-bbaw-thanks-social.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't mind watching this. I will have to see if I can do so...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read a lot of reviews on this one so I'm going to look out for the DVD! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! It's on youtube!? I'm over there now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did have fun watching this a few months ago. It was a fun premise with good acting and directing. The writing was great and made me laugh quite a few times.

    I like your idea of showing more of what was happening with Elizabeth. I did wonder about her a few times.

    Overall, it was a lot of fun. My wife loved it, bought it and it's making the rounds to friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I watched this one all the way through while I was stuck on the couch with pneumonia last week! I totally loved it. :) I can see what you mean about the transitions, though -- and I did wonder about Elizabeth's time in London. She seemed to have adapted so easily to something that must have been, to her, completely alien! At least Amanda had a clear idea of what life would have been like in the 1800s, though obviously she'd never been there before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)