Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Book Review- The Texicans by Nina Vida

The Texicans The Texicans by Nina Vida

THE TEXICANS tells the story of people trying to make it in Texas not long after it becomes a state. Aurelia, a Mexican with healing powers and Joseph, a Jew who comes to settle his brother's estate after his death are the main focus of the story but their are many more interesting characters that make appearances in this book. Their are runaway slaves, the Texas Rangers and settlers, and of course the Comanches and Tonkaways whose lands are being taken over by the settlers.

Nina Vida presents the stories very well and the lives they must have led in mid 19th century Texas. Joseph's journey is the most interesting and best portrayed. I think if the story was more about him only it would have been an even better read. Aurelia's story was okay, but in the end I didn't see a reason for its inclusion. I kept expecting more of a connection between the two, a romance that never occurred. I felt sorry for the two's hard life, which I am sure was more realistic to the time, but I would have liked another ending.

It was an enjoyable tale, well written and set in an interesting time.

3.5/5

_________________________________________


3 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I always kind of presumed the states were there already,I have never considered how they came to be states.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nins is a nice woman and I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this one, too. Wasn't so sure that I would, but I really did.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)