Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Book Review- Magyk by Angie Sage

Magyk (Septimus Heap, Book 1)Magyk by Angie Sage

Wizards, witches, boggarts and magic! Throw in a map and I am sold. Have I mentioned before how much I love maps in books? 

Magyk is the first book in the Septimus Heap Series and it starts off with a mystery. A baby girl is found by Silas Heap on the same night that his son, Septimus, is born and dies. The Heaps take care of the girl child as their own always wondering who she is. On her tenth birthday the truth comes out. Now they must do all they can to keep Jenna safe. Along the way, they discover what happened to Spetimus as well.

It is not a secret that I am a big fan of the Harry Potter books, so when these books came out awhile ago I didn't really want to read them. So many books were coming out after the success of JK Rowling's books that I was sure some of them weren't going to be all that great. However, these books were recommended to me by someone else who loves Harry and Co. just as much as I do so I got myself a copy.  

The story is original, the adventure fun, the characters interesting and the mystery of Septimus Heap intriguing. I couldn't put the book down once I started. I have Flyte already and it has made it to the top of that very large TBR pile next to my bed.

4/5

Source: purchased
_________________________________________


5 comments:

  1. I have read the first three and have to say the first one is the best. I do want to read the rest of the series though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't read this series but it sounds reminiscent of HP which makes me a tad nervous.

    i'm like you though--love a map in a book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a huge Harry Potter fan myself I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot! I'm glad you liked it! No, they're not HP, but they're fun all the same. A good, relaxing, undemanding read.

    I agree with Vivienne, the first was the best and the last to come out wasn't overwhelmingly good, but then I felt that way about the HPs too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wanted to read this forever, but haven't got around to it yet...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)