Thursday, January 9, 2014

Review: Bellman and Black by Diane Setterfield

Bellman and Black by Diane Setterfield
336 pages, Hardcover
Published November 2013, Atria Books
Source: NetGalley, publisher for review

William Bellman is introduced to the reader as a child shooting a rock at a rook with a catapult. His perfect aim sends the bird to the ground. Dead. From here on out, his life seems to be blessed with good luck- in wealth, family and friends. However, it doesn't last. Illness and death find him and change him forever. A mysterious stranger seems to guide him into a new venture that brings him even more wealth but not happiness. Who is the mysterious Mr. Black who seems to arrive when his loved ones die?

The storyteller is a good one. Someone that has followed and studied Bellman. The story of Bellman is shared very carefully and thoroughly. Which makes the book read a bit slow. Completely atmospheric and immersive, but slow.  Finding out who the storyteller is and why he is telling Bellman's story, is when I remembered just how great a storyteller Setterfield is. 

This was an interesting read. I wasn't really sure if I was enjoying it but I couldn't stop reading it. The Thirteenth Tale is one of my favorite books and, I guess, I was expecting something similar. This has been such a different reading experience. It still has the great writing that immerses you into the world that Setterfield creates, but it took me a lot longer to really understand it.  
Happy Reading!
_________________________________________

 FTC Disclosure: Clicking on book title and/or image links will lead you to my Amazon Affiliate page.

1 comment:

  1. So many people who loved The Thirteenth Tale were disappointed by this one. I'm sure I'll read it at some point and it sounds like I'll enjoy even if it's not the same.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)