Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Lost in Translation

Do you ever wonder what gets lost when books are translated into other languages?

I remember reading the first Harry Potter book and realizing all the little changes that were made from the British version to the US version, and that wasn't even changing the language. I mean, come on, even the title was changed.

Books are always getting translated into other languages and a good translator will do their best to keep it as close to the original. They will try not to lose the humor, the simplicity or complexity of the words, the hidden meanings and double entendres. I could see this being a very difficult thing to do.

Imagine Pride and Prejudice without the little hints and glimpses of the budding love between Elizabeth and Darcy underneath their jabs and spoken dislike of each other. If that didn't get translated correctly the reader would reach the end of the novel and be completely confused as to why these people, that hated each other, were now getting married. 

So, do you think this needs to be done by a person or could a translation software program like, Smartling, be able to translate, not only the words but the feeling of our most loved pieces of literature? They translate website content not books, but I am sure you know what I mean. But would you if you were reading a translation of this post? 

4 comments:

  1. I don't think computer software could translate the nuances like you described. Even people who are fluent and expert translators get it wrong sometimes. Or there are phrases in Japanese, for example, that are not translatable and you have to figure out how to convey the meaning without an exact match. I don't think software is up to that. At least not yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree. Software programs can do amazing things but picking up on sarcasm, or other nuances within a novel is difficult. I do wonder what I missed having not read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles in Japanese. You know there must be something that was left out.

      Delete
  2. I think it would be hard for a software program to translate the subtleties of language. But then I'm always confused as to how any person every figured out the exact translation of one language into another. I mean, how do I explain to you what an English phrase means in your language if your language isn't my first language?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, also what happens when words are used and there is no equivalent in the language it is being translated to?

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)