Thursday, November 20, 2008

Booking Through Thursday-11/20/08

Do you think reviewers are obligated to put up a good review of a book, even if they don’t like it? Have we come to a point where reviewers *need* to put up disclaimers to (hopefully) save themselves from being harassed by unhappy authors who get negative reviews?

I am very new to book blogging and one of the reasons I hadn't started one earlier was the reviews. "How could I put up a unfavorable review?" and "would anyone care what I have to say about the books I read?" were my worries. Well, that is easy. There are readers who want to know the truth about a book before spending money on it. As a reviewer, you need to be sure of who you are reviewing for. The authors or the readers?

It makes me sad to hear that there are reviewers being harassed by authors for writing a negative review. I can understand having hurt feelings about it. A lot of themselves was put into their books, but we all have to understand that there are going to be differences in opinion. Not everyone is going to love your book. Not everyone loves Harry Potter or Twilight. There are actually people who have no interest in reading them.

I just came out of a facilitated meeting at work for our staff and there are a lot of hurt feelings there as well, and issues that need resolving and differing opinions to be understood. So, I am going to leave this topic, and work stress, with this... think of those who you are trying to serve/reach.

3 comments:

  1. I did not love Harry Potter, so that proves your point! I look forward to reading your comment on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few authors o resort to harassing but most take it in their stride!

    Read my BTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, personally, I think people should post what they thought. If you don't like a book, then say so. That doesn't mean you need to lambaste it, but a good critique is worth a lot.

    Besides, one opinion doesn't count. Look at my opinion of Dan Brown. He cares, all the way to the bank. If a book really is good, then one little blogger's opinion is not going to pan it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)